Thursday, September 24, 2009

Six Months of Love

I love love. I love to love. I play for keeps. There is nothing in the world like loving another person regardless of whether they love you back. There is nothing like the warm joy of thinking of a person, wondering if they had a good day, and finding out they have; or the tender ache that comes when they haven't. We all know with love there is pain. We fear the pain and so we often hold back a portion of ourselves and our capacity to love to protect ourselves from that pain. But I have come to believe this only increases the pain. I believe loving with all your heart, allowing yourself to love to your full capacity increases your joy and lessens the pain.

It was through the life and the example of a dear, dear friend that I came to this conclusion. I came to know my friend towards the end of his life, but at a point when his life was full of hope and promise. He was the father to four beautiful children. His daughter once took him to school for show & tell as the best Christmas present she ever received. He had a wife he loved, cherished, and adored. She was his best friend and his life. He loved life and everything about it. He loved everyone he met and he made everyone feel like his best friend - and they were.
He was also living with terminal cancer.

Now before you start thinking he had this positive approach to life because he knew it was ending and he wanted to enjoy every minute. He didn't. For eight years he unknowingly lived with the disease that would take him from everything he loved. When I met him, he was cheerfully, hopefully, fighting for his life. He faced this most terrifying future with a smile. Rather than seeking for love, support, and comfort from others he gave it. When I last saw him, I knew it would be the last time I saw him - though I hoped against hope. With my eyes full of tears - my heart breaking - He gave me a hug and a kiss. He gave me his love.

Three years ago this October he left this life his legacy of love. It is in his honor I am sharing with you my love. For the next six months I will highlight many of the people I love and why I love them. So don't be surprised if I tell you....

i love you.



2 comments:

Claire said...

why only 6 months? :o)

Katie Briggs said...

so...where's the love???